Sericulture is an agro -based, labour intensive, commercial activity. It is an export oriented cottage industry. Sericulture has been successful in the eradication of poverty resulting in social as well as economic development cheaply in rural areas. This industries is capable of generating high income and employment with low investment sericulture which was considered as a subsidary occupation is being introduced as in independent avocation now.
The department plays an important role in the development sericulture activities. The following are some of the important services rendered by the department
1) Providing technical guidance and training in sericultural activities like Mulberry cultivation silk worm rearing and silk reeling etc.
2) Supply of disease free laying’s to the sericulturists.
3) Providing extension, Chawki rearing and disease control service to the famers.
4) Liaison with financial institutions to obtain financial assistance to sericultural activities to farmers and reelers
5) Facilitate marketing of cocoons and silk yarn.
6) Facilitate adoption of improved and proven technologies to increase production, productivity and quality of cocoons and silk.
Address of the Office
Department of Sericulture,
Deputy Commissioners office premises, Kolar.
Various Services provided by department
Catalytic development programmes
The Department of sericulture implements catalytic development programme with the assistance of central silk board with a view to produce greadable silk and increase productivity per unit area. Transfer of new technologies developed and increasing bivoltine silk production was the main objective of this scheme
Various Programmes were implemented under CDP like
1) Subsidy for installation of drip irrigation system in mulberry garden. (Rs. 15000/- per acre)
2) Subsidy to newly constructed independent rearing house. (Rs. 75000, 50000, 25000 for 1000, 600, & 375 sq. fts)
3) Subsidy for rearing equipments. (Rs. 30000/-)
Reshme Varadana Yojane.(State Govt. Programme)
1) Subsidy for installation of second hectare drip irrigation.
2) Subsidy for Second rearing house.
3) Subsidy for construction of mounting hall.
Rashtriya Krushi Vikaasa Yojane. (RKVY)
1) Subsidy for raising mulberry saplings. (Rs. 75000/- to raise 1.00 lakh saplings)
2) Subsidy for garden equipments (Tractors, Tiller, Minitractor, Pruner etc.)
Procedures for getting benefits through these schemes
Beneficiary should be sericulturists he should have irrigated mulberry garden and he should rears Bivoltine silk worms. Following are the records he should submit.
1) Application (prescribed format)
5) Company tax invoice (for drip)
6) Bidding slip (regarding Bivoltine cocoon transaction)
7) Bond paper
8) Plan and estimate (for rearing house)
9) And other prescribed formats of the department
He should submit all the above records to sericulture extension officer of the concerned TSC, SEO will inspect the spot of all the norms fulfilled he forwarded the application to Assistant Director of Sericulture. He will also inspect the spot and forward the proposal to DD. The subsidy amount and cheaque issued to SEO. SEO will issue cheaques to beneficiary.